Thursday 19 September 2013

Day 22 - San Martin del Camino to Astorgia

Hi All

I left San Martin del Camino and got lost even with full moon! Eventually my well honed navigation skills brought me to the amazing Roman bridge at Puente Hospital de Orbigo by dawn, with at least 13 Arches.

I then took the high route of Santo Toribio via Villares de Orbigo and Santibanez then onto Cruceiro de Santo Toribio.  Finally at Santo Justo de la Vega I crosse over railway line into Astorgia.

This is a truely amazing city, with a Cathedral, Clositer, and a Museum!! There are lots of ancient Roman roads which converge here and the town is just full of history, everywhere you look. Enjoying Leon as I did, Astorgia predates Leon by 875 years!!

Astorgia has a history of looking after the old, elderly and infirm. Lots of people in wheelchairs. A great memory for me today was the incredible sight of Gaudi's Palace.

Take a look at some of the sights of Astorgia, compliments of Google:

The town of Astorgia

Today my walk took me just over 7 hours and I covered a distance of 29.2km. My feet feel very sore now, but I'm consoled by the fact that I 'm still in the best condition of the everybody else. Tonight my weary bones will rest in Murias de Rechivaldo and am I looking forward to climbing into my bed tonight!

Tomorrow my plan is to walk the 20km or so to Foncebadon. Ronan will travel out on Thursday and we'll meet up Ponteferrada, can't wait!!

Thanks for everyones the continued support! Please keep sharing the page and spreading the word!!

Buen Camino,

Ger

Please remember to spread the word and remind as many people as possible, as to why I'm here:


Click on the map below, to view my progress. I update it daily...

No comments:

Post a Comment